Campbell House is the adaptive reuse of a 1890’s early Federation house set within a Heritage Conservation area. The integrated design approach of architecture-heritage-interior stitched together unifies the contemporary office use and the original building.
The jury applauded the idea that Campbell House’s identity comes from adaptive re-use and the pragmatics of light, air and ventilation. A new contemporary addition to the heritage house is sympathetic and the inclusion of the central atrium works incredibly well in terms of solar access and climate control. It’s an elegant and unified outcome, especially in relation to the landscape blur and how this element of the design weaves through the space. Along with notable sustainability credentials, the building’s late 1800s heritage is celebrated to precision. One jury member commented that the interior has been treated as a soft, gentle place that looks like a nice place to work.