The VicUrban fitout demonstrates a complete embracing of ESD principles throughout the entire workspace. ESD is skilfully integrated into broader social planning of the work environment, which also displays a sense of playfulness that is often lost in the earnest pursuit of environmental outcomes. The fit out provides for no enclosed offices and only 40% of the floor plate is provided as individual 'owned' space, the remaining 60% being alternative work settings or interactive zones. The attention to ESD has not been confined to areas front of house and appears integral to every design choice including task chairs, work settings and even the upgrading of the base buildings tapware to achieve AAAA rating.
Most compelling is that the completeness of the response to ESD, as a fundamental tenet of contemporary workplace design, has been delivered by a Government agency. Clearly VicUrban does not think or behave like a conventional governmental department and the industry is the beneficiary.